One of the things I have been doing faithfully is writing down 5 things every day that make me smile. So when I saw a writing prompt for Mama Kat's writer's workshop that said, "Aside from your kids, pets, your husband, your coffee and your wine…what makes you smile?" I knew that I could join in and contribute.
Here, in no particular order, are some days from my journal which note things that made me smile on that particular day:
• Gorgeous clouds
• Wind Coming through rolled down windows.
• Unsolicited thank you from Ariana for her day
• Smell of sheets as I pulled them off the line where they had been for 2 days.
• Perfect sunny weather
• Big, wonderful smile
• Yummy fresh breakfast fruit
• Ocean views
• Friends hanging out and helping out
• Unsolicited climbing into my lap to cuddle by Acadia on a sunny morning
• Friends who help in time of need
• Cold pizza when I am starving
• My brick schoolhouse
• The beauty of a butterfly fluttering by
• Birds chirping
• The breeze on my skin
• A job that allows me amazing freedom
• Beautiful day to trim grass and weed gardens.
• Waking up to sunlight coming through skylight on my face.
• Chocolate chip cookies
• Coworkers that make me laugh and love going to work
• Being told I am beautiful
• Listening to Ariana play piano.
• Older gentleman at gas pump next to me whistling away.
• Drive through the gorgeous mountains of NH
• Sitting on the deck enjoying the cool night
• Fire pit in the back yard for cool summer nights
• Squeals Of delight as I take Acadia down the water slide
• Hanging out with friend having girl talk as our kids enjoy water park
• Breeze through the windows as I lay on the couch
• Acadia saying as we climbed the water slide, "Jeez, these are a lot of stairs, they should have an elevator."
• Hearing Grateful Dead and Phish while getting a beer with a friend.
These are just a few days in my life... how could I not smile? I highly recommend Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy. I think everybody needs a bit of perspective once in awhile and we all could take a moment to smile.
Oh, and go visit Kat to see what is making other people smile: